Golden Valley Minnesota History

The Golden Valley Historical Society recently explored the history of a Golden Valley House that is over 100 years old. Perry Crosier designed the first of his two-story, three-story homes in the area in 1926 and 1930, and one of the oldest in Minnesota.

The 1930s were a time of declining membership due to the Depression, but Golden Valley continued to host the Minnesota State Amateur every year. When Bendelow came to Golden Valley, he was credited with laying the foundations for work in the United States and Canada, including the construction of the first US air base in Minnesota. In 1931, the Amateur State Championship came to the Golden Valley and was held for the second time in its history.

The team consisted of eight girls from the Golden Valley, and it was also the first time that the Class A state tournament was held in 1978, 1979 and 1980. The club has awarded Patty and her husband George and their son Bill honorary membership. In the 1930s and 40s, the club hosted the Minnesota State Amateur State Championship and the eight-team State Championship for the second year in a row.

When Golden Valley became a village in 1887, it had about 1,000 inhabitants and was divided into three parts. Hennepin County drew the county's line, which was undoubtedly based on the boundaries of farms. The city originated west of Hopkins, originally west of Minneapolis, but it is a suburb that is home to the University of Minnesota - Duluth and Minnesota State University - Twin Cities. Minneapolis grew rapidly, making it the only city of its kind in the state with students going to St. Paul, the city's second-largest school district, and Minneapolis.

At the turn of the century, the Golden Valley had about 700 people, who farmed almost all of its agricultural land. By the mid-1940s, it had risen to about 5,000 by 1948, and 1,000 by the 1950s, according to the US Census Bureau.

In the 1850s, the first non-native settlers arrived in the area, and in 1886 the city of Golden Valley was incorporated. Breck moved to his current location in the Golden Valley in 1908 and occupied the city's former middle and high schools, which were closed as part of a school district merger. The city's first private golf club, Golden Park Country Club, remained in existence, with 40 members preferring their original location, but the club was renamed Golden Valley Country Club in 1916. On December 21, 1916, it was founded as the new Golden County Golf Club in Golden, Minnesota, a suburb of St. Paul.

Golden Valley High School was founded in 1957, and the adjacent Golden Valley Middle School opened in 1964, but closed in 1969 after the Golden Valley School District merged with the Hopkins School District. In 1981, Breck School, a private Episcopal school, bought a Minneapolis campus on the site of the former GoldenValley school and moved.

Hopkins also agreed to leave Meadowbrook open, which was obviously very important for the people of Golden Valley. St. Louis Park showed interest and really pushed for it, but Golden Valleybeed promoted it and advertised heavily in the St. Louis Park Echo. The owners, staff and most of the customers were from St. Louis Park, so they really pushed for it.

Hopkins and taxpayers were stuck with much of the Golden Valley's debt, though much of it is now retired. Finance did not work like that because it was not in charge of business, not in government, not even in local government.

Although Wirth Park is operated by the City of Minneapolis, most of it is located in the Golden Valley. There is Gearty Park, so-called because it stands on the site of a farmhouse that used to be located north of the current parking lot.

The Golden Valley is served by two public school districts: the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis - St. Paul School District. Most children living in the Golden Valley attend one of the other school districts that includes the area around the city.

The first public transit in the Golden Valley was the Minneapolis - St. Paul Transit Authority (MSTA) bus service. In the 1970s, bus routes were fragmented and stretched across large parts of the Golden Valley, and I personally believe that the fragmented system is due to a lack of coordination between the City of Minneapolis and the school district and the State of Minnesota.

The MLL entered the Golden Valley on Highway 55 and served as the first public transit service between Minneapolis and St. Paul in Minnesota. Instead, it reports that a construction committee has identified the site for the future MSTA station in the so-called "Golden Valley." Within weeks, the group had gathered thirty prospective members from the Minneapolis area and other parts of the Twin Cities.

More About Golden Valley

More About Golden Valley